Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

Security


For many years people told me that while they longed to work for themselves, they couldn't because they needed the security of a job.

For many years, the people surrounding me saved, saved, saved to ensure security in their older years.

I wondered how the employed-by-others felt secure when their jobs were at the whim of another. I pondered how it is that the saver can feel secure when markets can disintegrate and values are not absolute. I wondered if perhaps it was because they had never lost it all so couldn't believe it could happen to them. I kept wondering about myself because I saw it as ephemeral, transitory, unstable, unsure...not secure in any way. Rather all this was only an illusion to feel safe.

I do understand the need to feel safe.
The more I know about the world economy I see, first hand (in my astonishment at what few know about it), that it's all a house of cards built upon a pile of ashes and dust, looping back upon itself, built only upon thought. But I think that very cool, cuz thought can change.

In these days of economic upheaval, I keep wondering if we are co-creating to learn (at a very acute and personal level) that our security does not lie where we think it does.

A few years ago, when I had lots more financial security, I went into a panic for a short period. I let go of the panic when I had a deep knowing/flash of trust and realization that all would be well and not to worry. I knew that either I would be dead, the economy as we knew it would be no more or I would be taken care of (in whatever form or job opportunity that meant).

I now have less than I've had in years. Haha...just about nothing...certainly from the perspective of my American culture. I am basically "homeless" (not really...but I live between two daughters' houses). At this point, I have no income that I can know of for another couple of weeks. I pretty much live out of two suitcases and a couple of boxes.

And yet for some reason, all I can think about is how abundantly Blessed I am.

Wonder what that's all about

Art: Abund-Dance from here

13 comments:

QueenBeeing said...

It is amazing how perspective alone can make such a difference in our lives. Great blog.

Pamm said...

Hi, Angie..thanks for stopping by and your kind words! It is all about perspectives, yes?

Jonas said...

I'm glad you're blessed. May we be all...

Pamm said...

True That, Jonas.

Greenwoman said...

I guess that we can't take it with us...and perhaps that ought to point us toward the real security in our lives...*smiles*

Pamm said...

I would think so...and interesting how we place it on so much "out there." Thanks for stopping by Greenwoman!

Anonymous said...

Hello Webmaster,

I am H. and interested in sponsoring your blog and I am contacting you to ask if
you are interested in blog post sponsorship. Please let me know if you have any further questions and if you are interested on this offer.

Yours truly,

H.
k5sino@bigstring.com

derick said...

pam,
we grow up believing that the illusion is the reality---externally!
Until we are prepared to dig down deep and experience the true reality, which starts with discovering the authenticity of self and that we do not need much, for everything that we need is there, if we could just recover from the bombardment of false needs that saturate our every waking hour and move away from the scarcity mentality and the fear---all will reveal itself in abundance.
Thank you for the reminder
namaste
derick

Pamm said...

And thank you for adding more, Derick! Glad, as always, to hear your voice.

Fusion said...

This is so weird Pamm, I just read another blogger's post about feeling homeless even with a home. I've been mulling a post about it myself for a while now, and this just confirms it's time to write it. In the past 14 months I've lived in my actual home for less than 4 weeks, and I'm fine with that, something I never would have thought of doing years ago...
A commenter said on the other blog that Home is a state of being, not a place on the map.
I think that is very true, especially the more I think about it...
Enjoy your "homelessness" my friend, it frees the spirit.

Pamm said...

It does, Fuse...and yes, it is true that you are kinda in the same boat. I'm interested in this gypsy thing a number of us are doing. Enjoy your times! I know you are.

thailandchani said...

It's interesting that I ran across your blog and saw this post.

Just recently, I was speculating that the reason for all of this economic upheaval is to bring change to truly destructive cultural values. Without "stuff", people in US culture fall into an unnecessary despair. It could be the universe thinks it's time for Americans to determine human value differently.

~*

Pamm said...

Hi, and welcome here, Thailandchani...could be...and I see it a bit differently.

I don't think the universe thinks or decides for us...I think the universe just loves us, doesn't put value on what we do.

I would say that we yearn for difference and recreation, returning to Source.