Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

"Show Me"

A couple of days ago, I turned on the TV which was set to VH1 (I have a 20 year old living here so it's on lots when the TV is first turned on). The music video to this song was playing.



I couldn't embed the actual music video as it was barred on YouTube. You can see that here, if you like.

My 20 year old thinks it's a love song to another human. If you decide to go there, what you'll see is that the song is intended as a prayer. It's dedicated to two children who died trying to stow away on a plane to escape life in the streets in Guinea. I'm continually struck by how we use the same words and pleas in our Prayers that we use for Romantic Love.

The lyrics:

"Show Me"

I realized as I lay down to sleep
We haven't spoke in weeks
So many things that I'd like to know
Come have a talk with me

I need a sign, something I can see
Why all the mystery?
I try not to fall for make believe
But what is reality?
Where do we go?
What do we know?
Life has to have a meaning
Show me the light
Show me the way
Show that you're listening

Show me that you love me
Show me that you walk with me
Hopefully, just above me
Heaven's watching over me

Guess it's funny how I say thanks to you
For all you've given me
Sometimes the price of what you gave to me
I can't stop questioning

O God of love, peace, and mercy
Why so much suffering?
I pray for the world, it gets worse to me
Wonder if you're listening

When people go
Why do they go?
Why don't you choose me?
But someday I know
I'm gonna go
I hope you're waiting for me

Show me that you love me
Show me that you walk with me
Hopefully, just above me
Heaven's watching over me

Maybe we'll talk
Some other night
Right now
I'll take it easy
Won't spent my time
Waiting to die
Enjoy the life I'm living

Show me that you love me
Show me that you walk with me
Hopefully, just above me
Heaven's watching over me

To find out more about John Legend's "Show Me" Campaign, please visit here.

9 comments:

Greenwoman said...

I played this song for my husband and read what you'd written about this song...His remark was to remind me of Eric Clapton's song that he wrote for his late son.

Your observation about romantic love and people treating each other like a life line and the source of...geez everything....how apt.

I have to wonder what we are teaching kids that this is a continual misconception generation after generation.

Pamm said...

Hi, Greenwoman-

I didn't communicate that very well, smiles.

I was thinking more along the lines of a number of writers, theologians, philosphers and mystics.

We talk of ecstasy in both love relationships and thinking of Divine connection. Mystics have often described their experiences in sexual terms. Poets, too. Rumi wrote love poems to his lover but they are also poems to the Divine Beloved. See..we even call both God and physical partner Beloved.

Deep psychologists speak of relationship here on Earth really being about our deep yearning for Divine connection.

In one flavor of Tantra, our partner is a manifestation of God/Goddess here on Earth.

And it goes on and on. So I don't think it's really all about our lover filling a hole, so to speak, but something else.

Jonas said...

Love is an act of faith, no?

Anonymous said...

Love is perhaps the most powerful sentiment we can comprehend in this life. Its not suprising perhaps that this song's topic reminds us of a prayer. Recall the idea of another song, "All the world needs now, is love, sweet love..." Love conveyed through lyrics appeals to remind each of us how easily we forget that we are all originally instruments of compassion. Its time to remember what we have forgotten about our own inner power to help others heal.

Pamm said...

Jeebus, Jonas... how do you do that? Beautifully put in so few words.





Actually, Liara, the words are a prayer. That's what the writer said anyway, and what the actual music video portrays. He wrote it after hearing about the two kids who died, imagining them on the streets, talking to their God. I find it so cool,though, that if you don't have that history about the song, it does sound like a love song.

derick said...

pam,
amazing song and the words will always resonate on the different levels of the individuals perception.
we are so alienated on our present journey that we see facets of the whole and think that a type of love can fill the emptiness within.
uuntil one knows oneself, then and only then can one start the return journey and be able to awaken ourselves to who we truly are.
thanks
namaste
derick

Pamm said...

So true, Derick.. Thanks for stopping by!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamm.
I understood the lyrics are a kind of prayer. Yet sometimes, you hear something more than once, and its like tasting the water of life again for the first time. Words are powerful yet, emotions evoked inside us may defy words. Maybe we only know truth when it is felt.

Pamm said...

True, Liara..thanks for stopping by!!