Monday, January 7, 2008

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

The Cheezy Chronicles- Our Brains


I live in Northern California, which just experienced a storm that left about 80% of my town without electricity for at least 24 hours. For about 40% of the town it was 72 hours before they were back in business.

As I sat at one of only two public places in town that had power and Wifi, watching people come in with their cell phones and chargers, I was reminded how much we depend on electricity for our lives.

Some argue way too much dependence. Perhaps...but I'm not going to argue that here. Rather, I'm just interested here in giving thanks for electricity, and the Human Brain that thought to harvest this energy then create things to use it.

I have a couple of friends who are scientists and have known a number of engineers. They blow me away.

How do their brains work that way? How is it that they take information about how molecules work, then sift and sort, put it together in new ways and create a cell phone? My heavens...a phone that requires only waves to work...and that can be used all over the world. We have planes that fly us across oceans, to Europe in less than a day. Computers...I am totally blow away by email. I write something out, I click...the words/sentences go, in pieces and parts, along cables which end up in another person's computer..sometimes on the other side of the world. Their computer puts all that information back together from it's send mode of pieces and parts, so they receive the note exactly as I sent it. Often in seconds. I truly see this as a miracle, yet so common we don't even think about it.

Or TV....how is it that an image in Chicago can be taped on a camera, go across wires in the form of a bunch of dots, then end up in the same confiruration on a small screen on my TV in California..and it happens almost instantaneously.

We can look inside bodies, giving doctors an opportunity to see our organs in 3D. We have microscopes that can see cells, for heavens' sake! I just read an article yesterday that they've now discovered that small neurons can and do heal themselves when injured, making recovery after paralysis something that seems much more doable now.

How do we do all that stuff? The human mind fascinates me, astounds me, puts me in awe.

We are Blessed!
image from here




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is pretty magical isn't it?

Pamm said...

Yes, it certainly is, Greenwoman!!

Anonymous said...

A very good point. It makes me think of when I was working as dialup internet support. People would be astonished that their modem would conk out. I would explain that the more you look at it, the more you realize how huge of a miracle it is that it works in the first place, heh.

Pamm said...

Hi, John...so true. I really got that when I was a midwife. I used to always think that we were so upset when a birth defect would happen, like it was so unusual...but I used to always wonder how it was that so many people were born without them. I mean, heck...we start as one bloody cell...then turn into these magnificent creatures!! Amazing that it works as often as it does, if you ask me.

derick said...

hello,
we are totally blessed as long as we do not take what we have for granted.
unfortuanately.......most is taken for granted until it is not there.
have a splendid day---if it's dark, light a candle and watch the reality flicker for just a while.
take care
derick

Pamm said...

Thanks, Derick....your words are always such a balm and hold great truth for me. Blessings!

Mark said...

We truly are amazing!

Starfire said...

Hi Pamm - I discovered your blog on BlogCatalog, and really enjoyed this post.

I had a similar line of thoughts a few weeks back when I finished reading an... urban fantasy book, I guess you could call it, although it could just as easily be described as an 'alternate present'; in which anything powered with electricity, combustion or explosion suddenly, inexplicably ceases to work.

The book follows the breakdown of society as it currently exists, and looks at potential new cultures and societies that grow up in its place. Aside from finding it an enjoyable read, I also finished the last page with a profound sense of gratitude for just how much, and how interdependently, basic technology enriches my life. Yes, I could probably survive without it, but life wouldn't be nearly as comfortable.

May I never take it (or any of my other blessings) for granted!

Blessings


Starfire

Pamm said...

We are, Mark..indeed!!



Hi, and welcome here, Starfire. What was the name of the book? Sounds interesting.

Have you read "The Fifth Sacred Thing" by Starhawk. Has lots of really cool envisioning of a new world.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Starfire said...

Hi Pamm

Yes, I have indeed read The Fifth Sacred Thing, and its prequel, Walking to Mercury. I loved them both, although I find Starhawk's non-fiction a little harder to read :-)

The book I mentioned is actually the first book in a trilogy called the "Dies the Fire" set by SM Stirling. It looks very depressing and post-apocolyptic from the cover, but I actually found it a great read, and far more inspiring than it was depressing. It won't be to everyone's tastes, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Blessings


Starfire

Pamm said...

Thanks, Starfire...will check them out. Cool...I love finding a good book!

Anonymous said...

I think each experience is meant to teach us we don't really "need" what we have come to believe. We tell ourselves lies and half truths about dependence. The real issues are who has taught us to think as we do? For what purpose? You may be interested in this blog post:
http://blog.dreambuilders.com.au/journal/2008/1/16/re-assess-what-you-really-possess.html#entry1489798

Pamm said...

Thanks for the link to your blog, Liara.

I'm excited you are finding your way and have found tools that excite and are of great benefit to you! Happy journeys!!!