Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

"What If God Was One Of Us?"



That song by Joan Osborne often runs through my mind when I walk through the streets of Los Angeles.

Today I saw a woman, probably in her 70's, with a wizened face pulling a small cart filled with junk. She was getting up from a bus stop bench. I happened to glance down and noticed that her pants were stained with dark splotches at the crotch, a fresh trail of liquid darkened her pants. As I passed the smell of urine permeated the air.

My heart opened. I remembered reading somewhere, sometime long ago that some Native Americans look at the disabled, the crazy, the shunned as Teachers and Holy.

I wondered if she was in pain. I thought of the vastness of human suffering. I thought of the impossiblity of any one person "fixing" it. I wished we honored our elders, the outcast, the one closer to the other worlds than we.

I'm so in awe of souls that choose to come and experience life in this way. Seeing her touched me and reminded me, one again, at the power, the majesty and the mystery of creation.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

is there an email address at which one can contact you?

Pamm said...

Sure...guess I "cleaned house" too well and deleted it..smiles.

It's thsc_pl at yahoo with the dot com.

Blessings!

Greenwoman said...

((hugs)) I'm glad you pay attention and listen. It helps the world...espcially when you speak of it to others. Thank you.

Pamm said...

You bet..I'm still thinking of her. Hugs right back atcha!

isabella mori said...

those encounters are amazing, aren't they? and if we open our eyes and hearts, we can have them every day ...

thanks for this beautiful post.

Pamm said...

Isabella!! Hello!

Yes...I got another gift on the way home from that walk..a man with one leg; his crutches splayed on the sidewalk, his head close to a cement "railing".... I made up a story that he had fallen and hit his head...tried to wake him up but he only opened his eyes a bit and drooled. So I called 911 amidst a crowd who, at first just walked over him then stood around.

Emergency came, and he was simply a drunk taking a nap.

Teachers.

Capt. Conner (The Irish Bastard) said...

Salutem Punctis Trianguli:

I love this blog and have added a link to it on mine..

With all wishes for Peace Profound:

Frater R+C

derick said...

pam,
you certainly are moving into the moment of the moment---the lessons that are available in a city are many----that is if you do not close your eyes too long or blink.

there is a zen koan that i always remember: push the boulder in the direction it wants to go--

in the flow and the surrender the sparks of synchronicity enliven one to the opportunities not normally seen from the comfort zone.
take care
namaste
derick

Pamm said...

Why,thank you, Frater...I'll go over and visit soon. Thanks for stopping by!


Derick...peace, my friend. Hope all goes well for you. Yes...Los Angeles has turned out to be quite the adventure. It's been a very good move, full of surprising moments for me to really appreciate life.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamm - it was good to see that video - we've just known the Alanis Morisett version of that song - the bit about the Pope's funny!

Good luck with your new home - Robin

Pamm said...

Hi, and thanks Robin. Hm..I've never heard her version! Will have to check it out for sure.

Warrior said...

was she you?

Pamm said...

???...was I the old woman? Hm...I guess in a cosmic sense, yes, Warrior, as we are all connected.